Kew Bridge Road, Brentford
Residences built c1820s.
In Kew Bridge Conservation Area.
Row of attractive 19th century town houses next to Steam Museum, recently refurbished. Lion statue on roof of number 47.
There is a very strong case for dating these houses to the 1820s, perhaps named by someone who felt Caroline of Brunswick had been very badly treated (her dates are 1768-1821). There was an outpouring of sympathy after her death which was politically strong and members of the royal household going to and from Kew would have been faced with a noticeable name stone. Possibly the lion is significant in heraldic terms.