…and attached garden wall to North and East
Residence built 18th century.
Grade II statutory listed.
English Heritage Listing
II House, now flats. Probably late C18 or early C19, extended after 1827, altered mid C19, converted to flats early C20. Part of the Syon Park estate.
Plum brick, in Flemish bond except for south west elevation, which is in English bond. Northern, roadside elevation rendered and lined as ashlar, Hipped slate roof, with deep plain eaves, to main range, pitched slate roofs to right hand and rear wings. Comprises a main range of two storeys and basements, in four bays, with a lower two storey, two bay right hand wing set back. At the rear is a two storey wing at right angles to the road.
Roadside elevation: flat-roofed, rendered porch, with plain parapet has pair of part glazed doors with moulded lower panels, reached by stone steps between flanking stone parapets. Four 3x 4 pane windows with slender moulded glazing bars. Those to left two bays are fixed, those to right horned sashes. Basement windows with slender moulded glazing bars, some with engraved panes. Vertically boarded door to area. Brick stack to left of centre. Right hand wing has similar horned sashes, two per storey. Central brick stack.
Garden elevation: four tall ground floor 3 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars, in deep moulded architraves, under shaped canopies. Four floor 3 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars under scalloped canopies. Broad garden door has single horizontal moulded panel beneath glazed section formed by four rectangular panes over a horizontal tripartite panel. Trellis porch. Rear gabled wing has similar first floor window to main range, plain four x four pane ground floor window under flat brick arch. Irregular south west elevation has some replaced windows.
Interior: inner entrance has shallow cyma moulded architrave but no door. Elegant stair of slender iron balusters, two per tread, plain tread ends, moulded, ramped, mahogany rail. Part is boxed in. Stair continues to basement, with stone steps. Dado rail continues through hall and stair well. Arch over replaced door to ground floor flat. Stone flag floor with black lozenge insets, said to continue throughout ground floor of main range. Ground floor and first floor flats of similar plan with some inserted partitions. First floor flat retains marble mantelpiece probably mid C19. Panelled doors largely replaced. Rear first floor flat retains plain mid C19 painted mantelpiece. Door to cellar similar to garden door. Plain, four panelled door in basement.
Garden walls: northeast boundary wall in plum brick in Flemish bond, with curved corner to road. Front, northern, roadside wall in stock brick with horizontal recessed panels between square piers with stone coping.
Building on the site since at least 1748 (Rocque, estate plan, 1748, and Sauthier estate map, 1786). 1827 plan clearly shows a building on the site of the rear wing with another building on the site. Tithe Map, based on 1st Edn O.S., 1870’s, but dated 1901 shows full extent of current buildings. The third Duke who inherited in 1817 and died in 1847 spent lavishly on the estate. The building would fit into this period of expansion.