Residence built in 18th century, now local museum.
Grade I and II Statutory Listed.
On English Heritage “At Risk” Register.
In Gunnersbury Park Conservation Area.
English Heritage Listing
Gunnersbury Park House – Large Mansion (Grade II*)
Country house, now museum. 1801-28 by and for Alexander Copland; remodelled 1836 by Sydney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild. Stucco over brick; slate roofs; stuccoed brick stacks. Plan has service area to right of main body of house, centred around entrance hall and rear ante-room. Italianate style.
3 storeys; symmetrical 7-window range of 2:3:2 fenestration with rusticated quoine to slightly-projecting outer bays, heavy moulded string course to second storey and moulded cornice to parapet. Paired Tuscan columns in antis to porte-cochere with Tuscan pilasters flanking panelled door and windows to each side. 8-pane ground-floor sashes set in raised architraves with floating cornices; semi-circular arched 8-pane first-floor sashes have moulded architraves continued as moulded impost courses; 6-pane square-headed second-floor sashes.
Left-hand side elevation has mid C19 semi-circular bay window front and 2-storey semi-circular bay to rear. Similar rear (garden) elevation has central 3-storey, 5-window range flanked by projecting 2-storey, 3-window range blocks with central second-floor string course continued as cornices beneath parapets of outer blocks: ground-floor French windows of central range are recessed behind screen of Tuscan columns and entablature; quoined outer blocks have-2-light first-floor and ground-floor French windows set in slightly-projecting bays with channelled rustication to first floor and Tuscan columns to ground floor.
Service range to right, of 2 to 3 storeys, has 6 to 12-paned horned sashes, and doorway framed by Tuscan pilasters and entablature to right of still room, now porch, of 1905; mid C18 semi-circular arched archway to right, built of rusticated flint with Portland stone imposts, keystone and coping surmounted by ball finials; one-storey garden elevation to rear, with central concave recess and semi-circular arched niches and moulded parapets.
Interior: fine range of rooms by Smirke, mostly in C18 French style, with panelled doors set in raised architraves with bracketed cornices and shutters. Entrance hall has open-well staircase with foliate wrought-iron balustrade, garlanded quilloche frieze beneath moulded enriched cornice and foliate ceiling boss. Former parlour to left has marble fireplace and moulded cornice, and anthemion cornice in anteroom to rear. Former library to right has marble fireplace with claw feet to paired reeded columns. Former vestibule to rear of entrance hall has narrow end bays defined by fluted pilasters to segmental arches, framing domed star-spangled ceiling with bay-leaf laurels and spandrels. Former music room, to rear left, has eagle-brackets to semi-circular arched tympanum with Rothschild arms surmounting doorway, bracketed foliate cornices over two doorways flanking festooned marble fireplace with putti and angled console brackets; fine plasterwork to ceiling, with naturalistic fruit, foliage etc, to ribs dividing panels. Former drawing room, to right of ante-room, has Ionic scagliola columns separating narrow end bays; fireplace and tall overmantle mirror framed by scagliola columns with gilt bay-leaf pulvinated frieze to stele-type swan-necked pediment with antefixae; coved cornice to star-spangled ceiling with oval painting of The Four Seasons by Edmond Thomas Parris. Former dining room to far right has bolection-panelled walls with antheniae to concave corners; cartouche flanked by palm fronds set in tympanum of pedimented doorway; blocked fireplace set in recessed bay framed by scagliola columns with gilt Corinthian capitals; foliate quilloche frieze to elaborate plasterwork ceiling with naturalistic fruit, foliage etc to ribs dividing panels and antheniae to central boss. First floor has moulded cornicing and marble fireplaces; foliate wrought-iron balustrade to oval balcony over corridor to right. Service area to right has former butler’s pantry with original mid C19 cupboards and fittings, two staircases with wood and iron balustrades and panelled doors; kitchen to right has cast-iron range of c.1840 with trivets, smoke jack, boiler and oven, and early (c.1850) cast-iron gas range by Timpson of Ealing; adjoining scullery turned into kitchen in mid C19, with plainer cast-iron range. Smirke’s interiors at Gunnersbury Park House are the earliest example of French-inspired interiors characteristic of the Rothschild family’s later C19 house.
Gunnersbury House (Grade II)
The smaller of the 2 houses built to replace that demolished after Princess Amelia’s death in 1786. Built for Major Morrison circa 1810. War damage to interior. 2 storeys with cornice and pierced roof parapet. Stucco.
North front recessed centre 3:3:3: sashes in moulded architrave with keystone. Unaltered early porch with fluted Doric columns entablature blocking course. South front recessed centre, and bows. 3:3:3 windows, sashes except for 3 French windows.
Central ground floor Chinoiserie verandah, cast iron columns and bell ornament. 1837-44 Service wing added by Peacock fronted on South by Orangery rusticated with 7 arches between pilasters. Sashes except for half glazed end doors in coved reveals under open pediments.
House lent to gentile guests of the Rothchilds for weekend use. Damaged by fire but now to be used as gardeners’ educational centre (December 1968).
Temple in Gunnersbury Park (Grade II*)
Built before 1760. probably on Princess Amelia’s instructions in the 5 years of negotiations preceding the purchase of house. Mentioned in letter of sale to her. Red brick with stone tetrastyle Bonmn Doric portico on stylobate of 5 steps. Columns have square bases. Entablature with guttae, triglyphs and carved metopes. Pediment with cartouche and garlands in tympanum. Wall of portico had dado and 2 semi-circular arched niches with plaster-cast statues on pedestals. Door surround of architrave, frieze between consoles, cornice and pediment. Ceiling has octagonal caissons.Welsh slate roof. Cellars. In derelict condition (December 1968).
Archway to Gunnersbury Park (West of East entrance Lodge to Gunnersbury Lane) (Grade II)
Stucco. Early C19. Pedimented. Greek fret ornament. Semi-circular arch.
North Entrance Gateway of Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Earlier C19. 4 tall stucco piers with pilasters entablatures original lamps. Central 2 fold cast iron gates of imposing, florid neo-classical design.
East Lodge of Gunnersbury Park with archway and entrance gateway (Grade II)
Early C19. Stucco 1 storey Doric angle pilasters and portico in antis with 2 columns and pediment. Sash windows under small cornices on consoles. Curved yellow brick wall to North West connecting with stucco archway under pediment. 2 wrought iron lamps. Arch enclosed by incised line ending either side in Greek fret pattern motifs.
Gothic ruins on borders of former Japanese Gardens, Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Made for Rothschild family early to mid C19. Brick walls cement rendered. pointed arches, including triple arched panels. Round turret with spiral staircase. 2 arches with pillars half sunk in ground.
Kitchen garden wall, including carved door and wrought iron gate Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Brick wall. gateway With impost bands iron gate and carved door in doorway. Reputedly built by Princess Amelia out of the profits from gambling. Included for group value.
West Stables in Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Stables. Early C19, remodelled 1836 by Sydney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild; remains of Gothic sham to rear built 1837-40 by William Fuller Pocock for Thomas Farmer of Gunnersbury House. Stucco over brick; hipped slate roofs; stuccoed brick ridge stacks. L-plan with front-left wing. Italianate style.
2 storeys; 8-window range to front and 2-window range to wing on left. Rusticated bay to left of centre, with round window over semi-circular arched doorway, surmounted by pedimented bell-tower. Square-headed 2-light first-floor windows over semi-circular arched doorway and lunettes to left and garage/coach house doors to right; rusticated end bay to right has blind oval window set above semi-circular arched doorway; canted bay to right gable end. No interior features of interest. Subsidiary features: Gothic-style rear elevation, with each buttressed bay having group of 3 blind lancets over blind pointed arch: built as Gothic folly in order to hide view of stables from Gunnersbury House.
Archway to South-West of Gunnersbury Park House (Grade II)
C18 archway. Cement-rendered brick with stone imposts and open pediment. Coffered reveal containing 2 segmental niches with stone pedestals.
Gateway near Princess Amelia’s Bath House, Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Late C18. Rusticated Portland stone. Coade stone plaques. Brick to rear. Semi-circular arch, entablature, blocking course. Paterae on outer surfaces beside spandrels.
Dairy at Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
C18. Probably built by Princess Amelia. 1 storey stucco. Front has facade of 5 round-headed stuccoed arches with rusticated heads and entablature above. Now derelict and used for storage.
Gothic Boathouse and Pavilion on South shore of Potomac Fish pond. Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Site of a former pottery. Early C19. built by Rothschild family. Symmetrical design of square plan basement and ground floor. octagonal lst and dunhw 2nd floors. Brick reddish brown with stucco quoins window dressings floor bends and battlement copings. Decorated Gothic windows with stone tracery.
Stone fountain near Refreshment room, Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
C19 stone fountain with putti.
North Lodge of Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Early C19. Stucco, 1 storey. Welsh slate low pitched roof with wide eaves. Tetrastyle Doric portico with mutules to pediment. Casement windows with glazing bars.
Conservatory in Gunnersbury Park (Grade II*)
Early C19 possibly by Smirke junior, circa 1836-7. Stucco and painted stone glass roof. Roman Doric pilasters entablature blocking course. Central semi-circular bow with engaged columns. 3:5:3: windows with glazing bars. central 2 fold half glazed door. North wing rusticated with 2 Roman Doric columns in antis. NMR.
Boundary Wall At Gunnersbury Park (Grade II)
Eastern and part of south boundary wall of the park of Gunnersbury House. 1658-63 by John Webb for Sir John Maynard. Wall runs north-south from east gateway, returning west at the south end for 22 metres. Red brick laid in English bond.
EXTERIOR: east side of north-south run with flat plinth course rising in height as ground level drops to the south. Flat coping bricks laid on edge. 7 late C17 raking buttresses at intervals. At the north end the wall abuts the east gateway into the park. West side with butt join indicating a former doorway, removed late C 17.
East-west return begins at rebuilt corner: similar construction with areas of whitewashed plaster indicating former garden buildings abutting. One 2-light window frame inserted C18. The wall has group value with other listed buildings within the park, particularly the east gateway.
Archway at east end of terrace, Gunnersbury Park Mansion (Grade II): Early C19. Stucco with pediment, round-headed arch, impost bands.
Gothic outbuildings East of Gunnersbury House. including arcade grotto shelter and room known as Princess Amelia’s Bath Rouse (Grade II)
Late C18 or early C19. Stucco or brick castellated with pinnacles and buttresses. Arcade of 4 Tudor arches to upper terrace with wooden grilles and wrought iron gate. Pierced parapets to upper and lower terrace, retaining walls. South West grotto with imitation rock surfaces South East room with canted bay to South. Semi-octagonal shelter on South with central doorway and side windows all with 4 centred arches. Flat roofs. Damaged in a fire in the war. Princess Amelia was a friend of Walpole (Strawberry Hill) and may have been influenced by him, if she was responsible for the design.
Series of 6 Iron lampstandards in front of Gunnersbury Park Mansion (Grade II)
Six C19 gas lamp standards of various designs in iron in the area of drive fronting Gunnersbury Park Mansion,
East Stables in Gunnersbury Park (Grade II*)
Mid C19 possibly incorporating earlier structure. Stucco. Entablature. Solid parapet. consoles to cornice of projecting centre and end pilasters. 6 semi-circular windows with archivolts. Rusticated wall below and to centre with tall arch round-headed in coved reveal. Over centre of parapet richly carved Portland stone Rothschild shield of arms with mantling.
West Lodge (Grade II):
c1875. Designer unknown. Portland stone rough-faced masonry with Bath stone dressings. Two storeys. A pair of gate houses linked by a four-centred arch with hood mould, with side extensions and canted bays to the rear. Mullioned four-light windows, two-light to bay at rear, rendered castellated parapet. Gates now removed. HISTORY: This lodge, built to serve Gunnersbury Park, stands on land acquired by the Rothschilds in 1861. It is first recorded as occupied in the 1881 Census, when it was called ‘Barons Lodges’. A picturesque park building in the castle or baronial style, and a prominent feature in the landscape.
Gunnersbury Park (Grade II*)
An C18 formal garden, altered mid C18 with some involvement from William Kent. The grounds were developed in the later C18 for Princess Amelia and extended in the mid C19 by Baron Lionel de Rothschild. The site became a public park in 1925.
The area in which Gunnersbury Park is situated was, in the Middle Ages, an estate owned by the bishops of London, part of the Manor of Fulham. By 1656 Gunnersbury had been purchased by Sir John Maynard (1602-90). Maynard engaged the architect John Webb (1611-72), pupil and relative of Inigo Jones, to build a new manor house on the estate. Gunnersbury estate was purchased by Henry Furness, MP and art collector, in 1739.
A map surveyed in 1741 (Rocque, 1746) shows a formal layout south of the house, with the main axis, at one point flanked by formal canals, aligned on the house and continuing south through the pleasure grounds in the form of an avenue. It is thought (Butcher et al 1993) that Furness engaged William Kent, who he knew socially, to enlarge and alter the estate.
Kent’s professional connection is evident from a payment of £55 received from Furness in April 1743. Princess Amelia, favourite daughter of George II, purchased Gunnersbury Park in 1761 and set about improving and extending the estate. Princess Amelia enjoyed entertaining at Gunnersbury and her guests included Horace Walpole who was then living at Strawberry Hill (qv), Twickenham.
The Princess continued to use Gunnersbury as her summer residence until her death in 1786, after which the property passed through a number of owners until 1800 when it was purchased by John Morley, a floorcloth manufacturer of Chelsea. Morley demolished the Webb house and divided the estate into thirteen lots, with a view to development, thus causing the creation of two separate estates, a partition which was to last for eighty-seven years.
In 1802 Alexander Copland (c 1774-1834), a partner of the architect Henry Holland, bought ten of the thirteen lots and Stephen Cosser bought Lot 1, the north-east side of the estate. Copland subsequently purchased the remaining two lots having already built himself ‘The Large Mansion’, Gunnersbury Park. ‘The Small Mansion’, Gunnersbury House, was built to the east either by Cosser (Lysons and Brewer 1816), or his successor Major Alexander Morrison who bought the former Lot 1 land in 1807 (Faulkner 1845). In 1828 the Gunnersbury House estate was purchased by Thomas Farmer who lived there, with Copland as his neighbour, until 1835 when Gunnersbury Park was bought by Nathan Mayer Rothschild. The new owner immediately contacted J C Loudon about improving the approach to the house from Pope’s Lane. It is not known if Loudon’s proposals were put into effect.
Rothschild died the following year, having never resided at Gunnersbury, but the Rothschild family, who in 1889 reunited the site, continued to live at Gunnersbury until 1925. During that time Lionel Rothschild bought land to the south-west including a clay pit which he made into a pond. The family continued to improve the estate and Gunnersbury became renown for its horticultural excellence and often featured in the gardening press of the late C19 and early C20.
After the death of Leopold de Rothschild in 1917 the estate was broken up and gradually sold off. In 1925 75ha, including both houses and the garden buildings, were purchased for public use by the then boroughs of Acton and Ealing, with Middlesex County Council contributing to the cost. The park was formally opened to the public by Neville Chamberlain, MP, on 21 May 1926. In the early years of the park’s public ownership many of the horticultural practices continued, but with increased provision for recreation. During the Second World War the playing fields accommodated anti-aircraft positions and new roads were made.
The park continues (1999) in public ownership.
LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING
Gunnersbury Park is situated in the suburbs of West London, c 1km south of Acton. Chiswick House (qv) is c 2km to the south-east, and Syon Park (qv) c 2km to the south-west. Walpole Park (qv), Ealing is c 2km to the north. The 75ha site is bounded to the north by the backs of houses on the south side of Pope’s Lane (B4491). Pope’s Lane provides the boundary to the north-east corner, and Gunnersbury Avenue (A406 North Circular) the boundary to the east. The southern boundary is made up of to the west, a belt of factories, and to the east Kensington Cemetery. A local road, Lionel Road, provides the southern half of the west boundary with the backs of houses in the same road forming the boundary to the north-west. The site slopes down generally from north to south.
ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES
The main entrance is through the north gateway (listed grade II) on Pope’s Lane. The impressive early C19 iron gates are hung from four tall stucco piers with entablatures and original lamps. Inside the gates to the east is the North Lodge (listed grade II). Sidney Smirke added a Doric portico to the Lodge c 1835, which is now (1999) used as offices by the Park Wardens and houses an information service. The curving drive, flanked by C19 lamp standards (listed grade II), continues in a south-easterly direction towards the two mansions, Gunnersbury Park and Gunnersbury House, which face north-west and are fronted by lawns. The surviving lamp standards have been restored (late 1990s) and replica replacements made where necessary. To the south-east of the North Lodge is the East Lodge (listed grade II). Now (1999) in poor condition, the Lodge stands to the north of the drive which leads from Gunnersbury Avenue to Gunnersbury House. The Lodge was built by William Fuller Pocock for Thomas Farmer c 1837 after the park was divided and Gunnersbury House built. A pair of lodges guard the third entrance at the extreme south of the site. This entrance was made by 1891 to provide access to the estate from Kew Bridge railway station. A fourth entrance to the west of the main, north entrance provides (1999) access to the parking area and the playing fields. In the mid C19 it led to the Kitchen Garden (OS 1865). Lesser pedestrian entrances are to be found to the east of the stables, along the western boundary, and in the north-west corner of the site.
Situated to the north-east of the site and set on the top of a broad east/west terrace overlooking the pleasure grounds and parkland, is Gunnersbury Park (listed grade II*). This building is referred to historically as ‘The Large Mansion’, to distinguish it from ‘The Small Mansion’ (listed grade II) which lies to the north-east. The three-storeyed stuccoed mansion has a slate roof and stuccoed brick stacks. The entrance front has a porte-cochere with paired Tuscan columns; a bow window surrounded by a conservatory decorates the east side. To the south, the garden front has a three-storey centre with tall, arched first-floor windows above a ground-floor Tuscan loggia. The Large Mansion was built by 1802 for Alexander Copland, probably to his own design. It was bought by Nathan Mayer Rothschild in c 1835 and was substantially remodelled by Sydney Smirke. He added the north-east parlour and south-west dining room and encased all in a handsome stucco exterior. The mansion has, since 1929, housed the Gunnersbury Park Museum with social history collections and Victorian kitchens.
To the east of Gunnersbury Park lies Gunnersbury House, ‘The Small Mansion’ (listed grade II). Built by 1828 after the Gunnersbury House estate was bought by Thomas Farmer, it now (1999) houses the Small Mansion Arts Centre in its main rooms.
GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS
The pleasure grounds are laid out around the mansions to the north-east of the site. Inside the main entrance the drive divides, the main, eastern branch curving to the south towards Gunnersbury Park. The western branch leads to the Italian Garden, planted out with roses in the C19 style. First recorded as the Italian Garden in c 1880, the garden has been known by various names: the circular garden in 1835, when it was surrounded by roses on wirework; the Temple Garden in 1906, when there is the first reference to water around the sundial; and an ‘old time garden’ in 1910 (Butcher et al, 1993). South of the Italian Garden the path divides around the Temple and the Round Pond. The Temple (listed grade II*) overlooks the Round Pond from which it is separated by low iron railings and a narrow sloping lawn. The brick building has a white wooden pedimented south front with four Doric columns and a frieze with bucrania attached. Built for Princess Amelia, probably by Sir William Chambers (CL 1982), the building was known in the late C18 as the Dairy. Many of the cedars which were planted around the Temple were lost in the storms of 1987 and some replanting has been undertaken. The Round Pond, now (1999) partly enclosed in C20 iron railings, is first shown on Nichol’s map of 1777 and is thought (CL 1982) to date from the ownership of Princess Amelia; it was probably made at the same time as the Temple. Since the 1920s the Pond has been used as a boating lake and is also used as a stock pond for fish.
The western branch of the path proceeds south-west around the Temple and Pond with the Kitchen Garden (now, 1999, a commercial nursery) and the C20 Bowling Greens to the west, and on into the park. The eastern branch of the path continues south around the Pond, past the C20 refreshment room and children’s playground to the east. After c 80m this path divides, the branch to the west curving between the southern end of the Pond and the C20 golf course before meeting up opposite the Kitchen Garden with the path from the north. The eastern branch swings east towards Gunnersbury Park before turning south where it divides. The path to the east leads south to the terrace, while the southern path continues to the south, passing steps which lead up through an C18 archway (listed grade II) onto the terrace to the east. Made from cement-rendered brickwork with stone imposts and an open pediment, the arch has coffered reveals and contains two segmental niches with stone pedestals. The terrace extends for c 200m along the south front of both Gunnersbury Park and Gunnersbury House. A tarmac path embellished with wooden seats leads along the top of a grass slope. The lack of ornamentation is in contrast to the descriptions of the terrace during the period of the Rothschilds’ ownership when the gardening periodicals of that time described it as being decorated with many pot-grown plants, some of which were trained up the walls (Gunnersbury Park Museum Archive).
From the terrace there are views to the south-east over open lawns with peripheral plantings, most of which appear to date from the C20. A line of trees marks the former division between the Gunnersbury Park and Gunnersbury House estates. Between c 1828, when the estate was first divided, and 1889, when it was reunited, the land to the west went with the former and land to east with the latter. A depression in the lawn marks the site of Horseshoe Pond, the east end of which is marked by the (?C18) cement-rendered, brick-built sham bridge, and the west end by a C20 rock garden. Made between 1741 (Rocque) and 1777 (Map of the Parish of Ealing), the Horseshoe Pond was set directly below the Webb mansion. When the estate was divided the lake was also split in two but was maintained as water until the late C20 when first the eastern part and then the western part dried up. To the south of the rock garden is the Orangery (listed grade II) built by Smirke c 1836-7 to overlook the Horseshoe Pond. The glazed building has a central semicircular bay with engaged Doric columns to the east.
The wide tarmac path along the top of the terrace continues past first Gunnersbury Park and then Gunnersbury House. To the east of the latter, north of the terrace, is the site of the abandoned herbaceous garden. The path continues along the terrace and through an early C19 arcade (listed grade II as part of a complex of a late C18/early C19 gothic outbuildings to the south). The arcade has four Tudor arches and a battlemented top. The outbuildings include a grotto shelter, and a room known as Princess Amelia’s Bath House. Derelict in 1999, these buildings have attracted grant aid with a view to restoration. The path terminates at the eastern boundary wall alongside Gunnersbury Avenue. From this point a path leads south to the east of the gothic outbuildings and continues alongside the eastern boundary wall, over the sham bridge, to the Gothic Ruins. Listed grade II, the brick-built ruins were made for the Rothschild family in the mid C19. To the south of the Ruins is the Japanese Garden; constructed on land which formerly belonged to the Gunnersbury House estate, the garden, which was carefully designed by James Hudson (gardener to Leopold Rothschild) after Japanese models, was completed just after 1900. To the south-east of the Japanese Garden are the stables (listed grade II) built by Sidney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild, with the north range constructed on the border with the Gunnersbury House estate. In order to screen the buildings, Thomas Farmer decorated his side with Gothic-style elevations. The path continues to the west of the stables and into the parkland.
The c 60ha of open parkland extends from the south round to the north of the pleasure grounds. The park is today (1999) given over to recreation. A public golf course dominates the central area with sports pitches and open areas to the west and the south. Boundary planting shown on an estate map of 1847 (Kretschmar) survives and it was after this date that the Rothschilds expanded the parkland to the west, using part of the land as a Polo field and part for agricultural purposes. In addition to farmland, in 1861 the Rothschilds acquired a former clay pit and tile kiln to the south-west of the property, transforming the pit into the Potomac Pond and the kiln into the Gothic Boathouse (listed grade II). J W Pulham was responsible for the elevations of the boathouse and also for the rockery that decorates the path to the east of the lake.
The walled Kitchen Garden, which lies immediately to the west of the Round Pond, is not open to the public. Its is currently (1999) used by two private organisations as a commercial nursery and for horticultural training. The ground was included in the estate by the beginning of C19 and is shown as Lot 3 on the Sale map of 1802. The OS map of 1865 shows a number of glasshouses and fruit trees in the area. As well as fruit and exotic plants the gardens were famous for their vineries, orchids, and pineapples (guidebook 1993).
Lysons and Brewer, Beauties of England … and Middlesex (1816), p 339
T Faulkner, Brentford, Ealing and Chiswick (1845)
Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, 32 (1907), pp 1-10
B Jones, Follies & Grottoes (1974), p 329
Butcher et al, Gunnersbury Park ( Aspects of Conservation, (unpublished report, Architectural Association 1993) [copy on EH file]
Gunnersbury Park and The Rothschilds, guidebook, (Hounslow Leisure Services 1993)
J Rocque, Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster and Borough of Southwark, published 1746
W Nichols of Brentford, Map of the Parish of Ealing, 1777, revised 1822 (reproduced in Butcher et al 1993)
Plan as part of an Identure showing 13 lots, 1802 (reproduced in guidebook 1993)
Tithe map of Ealing parish, 1839 (reproduced in Butcher et al 1993)
E Kretschmar, Map of Gunnersbury Park, 1847 (reproduced in guidebook 1993)
OS 25″ to 1 mile: 1st edition published 1865
2nd edition published 1891
3rd edition published 1913
Gunnersbury Park Museum Archives (London Borough of Ealing)
Description written: December 1999
Register Inspector: LCH
Edited: June 2001
ENGLISH HERITAGE “AT RISK” REGISTER
Large Mansion, Gunnersbury Pk House, Gunnersbury Pk: Country house 1801-28 by and for Alexander Copland; remodelled 1836 by Sydney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild. Good interiors, houses local history museum and education centre for the Boroughs of Hounslow and Ealing. A major ‘Heritage Grant’ bid has been submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund, which includes repair and restoration of the building for continued use as a local history museum.
Small Mansion, Gunnersbury Pk: Built circa 1810, the smaller of the two houses on the site of Gunnersbury House demolished circa 1801. Discussions are continuing with local planning authorities in order to secure repair and reuse of the building. English Heritage has awarded a grant towards urgent repairs to the roof, which are due to commence in May 2012.
Gothic Ruins, Gunnersbury Pk: Sham Gothic ruins, on the east side of Gunnersbury Park. A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes priority works of repair to the ruins.
East Lodge: Entrance lodge circa 1837. All that remains are small sections of the south and west elevations. ‘A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes works of repair to the East Lodge. EH has awarded a grant towards urgent repairs in order to secure the structural stability of the remaining elements of the lodge, which are due to commence in May 2012.
West Stable Block: Early C19 stables situated within Gunnersbury Park. Emergency works have been undertaken, partly funded by English Heritage. Discussions are continuing with local planning authorities in order to secure repair and reuse of the building.
Boundary Wall: Part of boundary wall of the garden of the original Gunnersbury House, built 1658-63 by John Webb for Sir John Maynard. Wall runs north-south from arch to south east of Princess Amelia’s Bath House. A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes priority works of repair to the wall.
East Stables: Stable block 1835, on the eastern edge of Gunnersbury Park, to the south of the Small Mansion. Emergency works have been undertaken, partly funded by English Heritage. Discussions are continuing with local planning authoties in order to secure repair and reuse of the building.
Gunnersbury Park: A landscape park developed in the C18 by Princess Amelia and in C19 by Baron Lionel de Rothschild. Became a public park in 1925. Landscape in variable condition. London Borough of Ealing submitted a Parks for People Pre-application for Heritage Lottery funding for restoration of the landscape in the heritage core area and recreation of the west side of the horseshoe lake. A decision on the application is expected in summer 2012. A community horticulture and training scheme is proposed for the walled garden.
North Lodge, Gunnersbury Pk: Early C19 lodge building in classical style with Doric portico. A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes priority works of repair to the lodge. English Heritage has awarded a grant towards urgent repairs, which are due to commence in May 2012. It is anticipated that the lodge will be used by local community groups.
West Lodge, Gunnersbury Pk: Lodge building dating from 1875 in manner of gate house, partly in use for residential purposes. English Heritage has awarded a grant towards urgent repairs to the roofs of the unoccupied part of the lodge and the archway, which are due to commence in May 2012.
Gothic Boathouse, Gunnersbury Pk: Mid C19 Gothic folly tower, converted from a tile kiln and situated on the southern shore of Potomac Lake. Emergency works have been undertaken, partly funded by English Heritage. A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes priority works of repair to the boathouse.
Archway near East Entrance Lodge, Gunnersbury Pk: Stucco pedimented archway, circa 1837, situated near to the East Lodge, on the eastern edge of Gunnersbury Park, a public park since 1925. A major ‘Parks for People’ bid was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in November 2011, which includes works of repair to the arch. EH has awarded a grant towards urgent repairs in order to secure the structural stability of the arch, which are due to commence May 2012.
History of the Gunnersbury Park estate, Brentford & Chiswick Local History