Built in 1904 as a community centre for canal families, now a private residence.
Grade II statutory listed.
In Butts Conservation Area.
English Heritage Listing
Boatman’s institute, later house. Built in 1904 for The London City Mission by architect Noel Parr. Arts and Crafts style. Comprised two schoolrooms on the ground floor with living accommodation above. Continue reading →
Built in 1960s as a warehouse, currently derelict and being re-developed.
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area.
This is a piece of industrial history from the 1960s, formerly known as the Brentford Depot. A freight terminal at which barges and carriers (called lighters) from the Thames and docks, which were too wide for the canals of central England, transferred their loads onto narrow boats, to be taken up the canal as far as Birmingham. Even into the early 20th century, 20,000 narrow boats loaded up here each year.
There are still remains of the moving cranes and entry to the warehouse above the concrete wall into the building that opens on to Commerce Road. Change and redevelopment approaching 2013.
Built as a toll house in 1911, this is now a museum.
Grade II statutory listed
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area
In the 18th century at the time of early canal travel, goods were carried from the Midlands to London covering 230 miles via the Oxford Canal and the Thames, meeting hold ups of fishing weirs and often floods or droughts on the Thames.
In 1793/4 the Grand Junction Canal Company built a canal to cut down this distance (as the crow flies it’s only 100 miles). Continue reading →
Barges and Canal Boats are Vital Links in Supply Chain
BRENTFORD MEN’S EXPERIENCES.
Through Fires and Bombs Up River in London Blitz
On the late afternoon of September 6th 1940 a solitary pair of boats, frail river craft, moved steadily up the Thames between banks of blazing warehouses, flying masonry, and under a sky noisy with ‘planes and the crash of anti-aircraft fire. The boats’ crew of five, including two Brentford men, were maintaining the slogan ‘Keep Moving’, which river and canal workers have nailed to their masts for the duration. Continue reading →
The Tithe Map of Brentford in 1841 shows that the area of the town west of Drum Lane (now Ealing Road) was tightly packed buildings between the High Street and Albany Road with open ground beyond. Running north to south is a blue line marking the route of the brook. Parallel with the water course is a narrow road and at a sharp bend there are four cottages later called Brook Terrace. Continue reading →