Pub built in 1888 although remodelled at a later date.
In a directory from 1888 and originally a dominant corner building with small cottages along Albany and Ealing Roads on either side. The roof line of the neighbouring cottage can be seen on the end wall in Ealing Road. Attractive glass and mosaic tiled doorway.
In 2012 seems to have temporarily reverted to its original name of the Horseguardsman.
Royal Horse Guardsman (south side)
Royal Horse Guardsman
loading map - please wait...
Royal Horse Guardsman51.489854, -0.302782 Royal Horse Guardsman
First in directory in 1888 as The Royal Tar. Also referred to as The Jolly Tar. At other times known as The Yacht, and Captain Morgans.
Interesting cast iron pillars at corners of the windows. These can be seen on houses in Hamilton and Whitestile Roads.
The first houses to be built after the land sale in 1872 were on the west side running north from Albany Road. They were numbered consecutively with numbers 8, 9, 10 and 11 north of Grosvenor Road which ran down hill to towards the recreation ground. They were called Grosvenor Terrace and are now numbers 14, 16, 18 and 20 Brook Road South.
The builder, Henry Spicer lived at the Lord Nelson PH in Enfield Road was brought to account in 1883 for allowing these 4 houses to be occupied without giving notice to the Sanitary Authority. Continue reading →