Gauging Lock, Brentford, TW8
Built as a toll house in 1911, this is now a museum.
Grade II statutory listed
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area
In the 18th century at the time of early canal travel, goods were carried from the Midlands to London covering 230 miles via the Oxford Canal and the Thames, meeting hold ups of fishing weirs and often floods or droughts on the Thames.
In 1793/4 the Grand Junction Canal Company built a canal to cut down this distance (as the crow flies it’s only 100 miles). Continue reading