James Clements, by William Ramsden Brearley 1932

Councillor James Clements

Between 1874 and 1894 Brentford was an independent town run by a Local Board responsible for public health matters by supplying clean drinking water and sewers, clearing slums and cleaning the streets. Provision of a Fire Brigade was later added and by 1894 it was an Urban District Council (UDC) whose responsibilities included town planning, parks and cemeteries. This operated until 1927 when it amalgamated with Chiswick to become the Brentford & Chiswick UDC that met in the Town Hall in Chiswick.

One man who was involved from 1894 was James Clements. Continue reading

Underwood’s Hay and Straw Depot, Dock Road

In November 2010 a site was cleared in Dock Road.

Site of Underwood's Hay and Straw Depot

Site of Underwood’s Hay and Straw Depot

 

It was occupied for over 100 years by a warehouse that was originally built in the garden of 80, High Street and had painted on the fascia board

UNDERWOOD’S
HAY & STRAW
DEPOT Continue reading