BMI Syon Clinic, former Coty factory

BMI Syon Clinic

Former Coty Factory
Great West Road

Factory built in 1933, now private clinic

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

1933 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. Modernistic. Symmetrical. Rendered on a steel frame.

2 storeys on raised bank. Entrance and vertical window above it are recessed below the continuous shaped parapet, with triple horizontal clasping motifs in the angles beneath the parapet. Continue reading

Westlink House, Carillion

Westlink House

or Pyrene Building
981 Great West Road

Factory built in 1928, now offices for Carillion

Grade II Statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

By Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. 1928, but altered. Modernistic. Symmetrical and rectilinear. Rendered. Sited on raised bank. Mainly two storeys.

Chief feature is central Tower with stepped haunches and abstract moulded features at top. It has recessed panel in face enclosing 3 tiers of 3 narrow windows above entrance framed by geometric decoration (now converted to window), with prominent front steps dividing into sideways flights and having square buttressing.

Long wings of horizontal lines with gridwork of 12 large windows (originally small-framed but altered to large panes); the terminal windows being narrow ones in slightly advanced sections. Parapet with ribbed panels and raised section at corners. Rear parts of building not of special interest. Later 6-window section abutting to left not included.

Main Entrance Detail, Wikimedia

Westlink House, Pyrene Factory

loading map - please wait...

Westlink House, Pyrene Factory 51.484924, -0.320621 Westlink Carillion
Firestone Gates

Firestone Gates

Great West Road

Factory (and gates) built 1928.

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

Central gates, gate piers and railings to the former Firestone Factory. 1928 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners.

Reinforced concrete, cast iron railings and lanterns. The former central pedestrian entrance to the Firestone Factory, comprising a pair of outer piers, two runs of original railings; a pair of gate piers with double gates; two plinths supporting lanterns either side of a flight of shallow steps; and a pair of lower piers at the top of the stairs. Continue reading

Wallis Building

Wallis House

Also known as Smithkline Beecham House
Including Midland Bank
Great West Road

Factory built 1936-42 currently being converted to commercial and residential space.

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

Smithkline Beecham House (also known as Wallis House) Including Midland Bank

Factory; now company headquarters and offices, and bank.

East wing 1936 by G A Warren; otherwise 1937-42 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners; for Simmonds Aerocessories. 1947 converted into offices for British Overseas Aircraft Corporation; further alterations 1955-6 and 1960 by R Gallanaugh for Beechams and subsequently.

Pale brick in Flemish bond with concrete and ashlar plinth; sill and lintel bands; window jambs; architraves; fins to tower and flanking blocks; upper storey of tower; and parapets. Flat concrete roofs.

Central 11-storey tower with lower 3-storey flanking blocks set slightly forward and overlapping front corners of tower. Long side wings of 2 storeys and basement which terminate in circular entrance towers (not much taller than wings) and then return rearwards.

Entrance elevation; entrance across full-width of tower has late C20 glazing, fascia, balconied windows over and deep band linking the 2 flanking blocks. Tower has 3-light window with original metal glazing bars, rising to 8th floor; 9th floor fronted by figure of a airman with eagle on shoulder, on stand; indented parapet; returns of tower have 9-light similar windows with 9 windows to top floor, some of which have replacement glazing; rear has plainer 3-light window with flanking narrow windows on each floor; chimney. Blocks flanking tower each have a full-height 5-light window to front, 5 plainer windows to rear and 9 to returns retaining original glazing bars except to lower floors at rear.

Side wings on each floor have near-
continuous windows separated by wide jambs, only the basement windows retaining original glazing bars; curved corners at junctions with end entrance towers. These each have steps up to a double door with bowed columns and hood; window above; and are flanked by fins and tall narrow windows. Each wing return has a plainer entrance at east end.

Later wing extensions and additions to rear of wings and to tower. Interior: tower retains original stair on right hand side with marbled lobby and keyed round archway on 2nd floor, marbled lift lobby to lst floor on left side and in reception area; otherwise interior is considerably altered.

Of Railings In Front Of Smithkline Beecham House Terminating In Line With Entrance At Right (West) End Of Right (West) Wing

Railings. c.1937 for Simmons Aerocessories (as Smithkline Beecham House q.v.). Concrete plinth, metal railings. Plain bars. Short sections of railing divided by panels with curved and scrolled interlaced rods which continue undulatingly across railings; above each panel is winged monogram, “SA”, with finalled hood. Included for group value.

Further Information

The surviving building was the offices of Beechams, with the works behind. Of note is a fabulous airman sculpture on the façade – the sculptor is Donald Gilbert and title is Inspiration to Flight.

As of September 2013 – At present being converted by Barratt Property Developers.

Wallis House

loading map - please wait...

Wallis House 51.490896, -0.299678 Wallis Building